Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Tue 8/1 - Push Day (Myo-Reps)

Workout: Golds
(65#DBInc)12/+3,3,3,3,2
(35#DBInc)12/+4,4,4,4,3
(30#DBShldr)13/+5,5,3
(10#CableFly)20/+10,10,9
(65#OHTri)15/+4,4,4,3
(50#Crunch)12/+4,4,4,3,BWx10

34 + 5 = 39 mins

Time to change things up a bit from a WO perspective.  Today I did a “Myo Rep” workout. This is a rest/pause type set up.  The “set” starts with an activation set with a moderately heavy weight. The activation set isn’t taken to failure.  After the activation set, you rest a short period and then do mini-sets at a targeted number.  You do mini sets with strict rest periods until you can’t hit the target number of reps.  Taking my first exercise as an example, I did 65# DB’s with an activation set of 12 reps. Then I rest 20 seconds and do sets of 3, with 20 seconds rest, until I can’t get a set of 3.  Generally, the more reps or lighter weight in the activation set, the more reps in the following mini-sets.

So, I started with incline. Wow! I hadn’t used this protocol in a while and forgot how hard it is.  Because of my shoulder, I may have to start using more machines for pressing movements. When my right shoulder gets fatigued, it gets very difficult to get the DB’s into position, even though I have plenty of strength to do the actual pressing. First exercise was very good. Then I raised the angle of incline and did another myo-rep set. I thought 35#DB’s might be too light, but for today, they were plenty heavy on short rests.

Next I did shoulder press, then cable fly’s, triceps work and crunches.  All myo-rep sets.  After this WO, it’s pretty clear that machines are going to have to be employed more frequently during this protocol.  This is saps energy quickly, makes muscles recruit deeply on all sets and makes failing reps frequent.  Risk of injury with free weights is fairly high, IMO, at least until my body adjusts to it a bit.

Great WO. I’m going to be sore for sure!

Nutrition/Weight:
I weighed 169.0 this morning. That weight is pretty damn good after a 3 day weekend at the beach. Time to start eating maintenance or slightly above for a diet break for at least a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment