Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday 5/23 - Chest/Tri's/Core & Cardio

A quick tip for when motivation for a workout isn't there - When I'm not feeling up to a big workout, I tell myself I'll just go into the gym and get a good quick muscle stimulation.  Just a set or two for each muscle group to give them some stimulation.  Not a full workout trying to build muscle, just enough to not lose any.  Invariably, I get into the gym, do a quick warmup and start my first set and like magic, the motivation seems to always return.  If the motivation doesn't return, just go with the original plan and get an "easy" stimulation workout in.  That was the plan today, and I ended up having an awesome workout.

Cardio
  • 55 min morning walk.  Decided to get in a walk before work, knowing it's going to be a long day and night at work and not sure if quads are still going to be up for a run tomorrow.
Workout:
  • (50#Bench/TortureTwist)5, (16,12,10,8,8)
  • (45#Incline/HangAbs3/BallPike)5, Last 3 sets of incline were all 7 and really good last reps, then did a dropset from 45#s to 30#s on the last set.  Ball pikes felt awkward, like when I first started doing them.  Probably because I haven't been doing them much lately.  Need to keep working them in.
  • (45#Dips/20#Flys)4, Dips were hard (9,7,6,5). Did a drop set on flys last set.
  • (50#TriExt6/CableCross4), Drop set on last set of overhead tri extensions 50#/30/20. Tri's really starting to feel it. 
  • (110#TriPushdowns7/25#Crunch4), Pushdowns did 4 straight bar 110/90, 3 rope 70, last was a drop set 70/50/30. Tri's burning.
  • (BenchToFailure)1, 90#/70/50/30. After workout above, 90#'s felt like 200.  Wow.
  • (10#OverheadTriIsolation2/TriKickbacks2), Was cooling down and tried these. 10#s felt like a lot. I could really feel the kickbacks working the tri.  Overhead not quite as much, but still good.  Will do kickbacks again.
70 mins

Chest: 19
Tri's: 21
Core: 14
Total: 54 Sets

Great WO!  A little longer than I want them to be, but a kick ass workout. Really got tri's good today.  Something is missing for chest.  I'm not seeing the gains there I am in other areas.  Maybe I shouldn't be wasting my time with cable crossovers, and even flys and concentrate on bench?  I feel like I'm doing enough sets of bench and incline though.  Every workout has 4-5 sets each of flat bench and incline. I
can't really go any heavier unless I use the machine because the gym only has dumbbells up to 50#'s.  Might be worthwhile to go over to the larger sprint gym for a few chest workouts and use the barbell and heavier weight.  Really want to see some improvement there because I've been stuck for a while.  Who can I ask for advice?

Protein:
6:45AM Whey shake & creatine 30g
7:30 55 min walk
9:15AM 4 egg white omelet w/ fresh mushroom and spinach 15g
11:30AM Whey75/Casein25 shake 30g
1/3 sweet potato 20g carb
16oz chicken from salad bar = 125g
12:30 WO - Chest/Tri's/Core
2:15PM Chicken, 2.5 eggs, salad (and some kidney beans) 60g
5:30PM Steak salad 55g (Took Hayden out to dinner for his 12th b'day - gave him an iPhone 4S)
10:45PM Casein shake 30g
Total: 220g

No comments:

Post a Comment