Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tue 10/2 - Full Body - SD Hypertrophy

Second day of this program, and back-to-back days.  Interested to see what residual effects are left from yesterday.

Workout:
Group1
A1(50#DBBench)12,11,11,10 (4) 44
A2(50#BentOverRows)4X10 (4) 40
B (LegPress)210X10, 240X6, 255X6, 270X6, 270X6 (5) 34
20mins

Group2
A1(Pullups)5X5 (5) 25
A2(Dips)10,10,10,8,7 (5) 45
B(50#DBSwings)4X10 (40)
19mins

Add-on
(30#StandingMil)12,7,9 (3) 28
(30#Crunch)17/+6,5,5,5 (5) 38
7mins

Total: 46 mins
Chest: 9 (89)
Back: 9 (65)
Shoulders: 3 (28)
Legs: 9 (74)
Abs: 5
Total: 30 sets, 256 reps

I did DB bench today instead of having to use the machine again.  I inclined the bench just 1 notch, so not completely flat, but certainly not "incline" either.  I did a little more than 4X10, but it worked out great.  The 10th rep of the 4th set was perfect, meaning I probably couldn't have done one more w/o really struggling.  I really controlled the weight on all these.  Very pleased.

I did bent over rows instead of seated rows today because of my elbow.  These were real good.  It's a fairly taxing exercise though and wasn't sure how it would impact pullups in the next grouping.

Leg press called for 5X5, but I still don't want to go super heavy on legs until they are more used to the workload. Seat set at setting 4.  I started fairly light and worked up to 270#'s which was a good weight for today.  My legs weren't too sore from yesterday's leg work and I almost counted the first set as a warmup and did another heavier set, but decided not to press my luck.

Pullups were good.  5X5 worked well for these. I did them very controlled and slow and just barely got my last rep on the 5th set up, so this was just about perfect.  Bent over rows definitely impact these though.  Higher reps would have been very tough.  Too tough.  Not sure how I'll handle that next WO that calls for 4X10 again.  I could do pulldowns, but really want to use body weight.

Dips called for 5X5, but I don't have a weight belt, so I just tried to do sets of 10. I was pleased that I got first 3 sets at 10.  Really worked the last couple of reps on the last 3 sets.  I probably should have cut each of those a rep shorter.  I've got to be cautious about going to failure, given the volume and frequency of these WO's.

DB Swings were really good.  I really try to make sure I'm using my legs/glutes/hams as much as possible and not as much back.  These are freaking exhausting!  After 10 reps, I'm gasping for air.  Really tough, but love these.

WO was done per protocol here, but again wanted to add some shoulder and ab work.

Great WO today.  I'm going to have a couple issues programming the weights for certain exercises at 4X10 & 5X5 based on the equipment I have available (Dips, pullups, bent over rows).  I'll work around that or do some substitution, but I don't want to keep changing out exercises too much because that takes away from the design of the protocol.  Anyway, feeling good after two days in a row.  My left elbow hurts, and feeling a little something in my right shoulder, but otherwise don't feel wiped out.  I'm not sure if I'll do this again tomorrow, or take a rest day.  I'll just wait to see how I feel later today and in the morning.  I should probably be eating pretty heavy with this WO and not cutting so I'll have to keep an eye on that as well.

Nutrition:
I weighed 172.8 this morning.  Not sure if it's psychological, but adding in leg work has been a boost (body growth response?), and I'm HUNGRY.  Good nutrition day.  Upped the calories today by a couple hundred, but still below maintenance.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow and if I do this workout again for 3rd day in a row, I'll probably up calories again.



Prot Carb Fat Cal
TOTALS: Grams 197 200 22       1,754
Calories 788 801 200       1,789
Percent 44% 45% 11% 100%

No comments:

Post a Comment