Monday, April 2, 2018

Sat 3/31 - Hiking in Roan Highlands

Sarah had to work, so I got up early (2:30am) and got on the road at 4:30am for the trip to Roan Mountain.  Carvers Gap to be specific.  It was 29 degrees at the start, frost all over the trees at elevation.  Frost/snow line seemed to be about 5,500 feet.  Highest point of the hike was about 6,200 feet.  It was windy on the balds, but absolutely beautiful.

I'd planned to hike out to Hump Mountain and camp at Bradley's Gap.  Wind was 30MPH with gust projected in 50-60 mile range.  So instead of camping an overnight, I decided to to an out and back and drive home same day.

Decision to head home was partly weather and larger part because I wanted to spend Easter day with Sarah. 

Great hike, definitely one of my favorite places on the AT that I've done.

7.5 hours hike time. About 14 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment