Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sat 1/10 - Upper

Workout: LA Fitness
(85#Inc)8,8,7 - Nice, making good progress back, surprisingly
(65#Inc)11,11 - Great
(160#SeatRow)10,9,9 - Good
(10#Crunch)3x10
(60#IsoShldr)10,9,8,7
(180#PullDn)3x9
(205#Fly)12,10
(58#Rope)2x13
(15#RDelt)13,11

73 + 8 w/u = 81 mins

After 2 more days off (Thurs & Fri) because of my R elbow and only 1 WO this week, Sarah and I went to the gym this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect. Warmups on incline felt ok in my chest when pressing, but everything feels so FREAKING heavy. From my elbow down though my forearm and into wrist is painful. I can hardly open a bottled soda.  Anyway, warmup felt ok so I worked up to 85#DB's. Last WO was my first time using 85's in a while and today I got an extra rep on each set. I was tempted to do a 4th set, but 3 heavy sets was enough for today. Sarah bumped up to 40#DB's and got good reps! We increased the angle and dropped the weight for 2 more sets of incline. I got 11,11, which is a PR. I struggled for months to get 2x10 so I'm progressing despite the shoulder, pec and elbow issues.

Seated rows were good. Only did 3 sets because of elbow, but got much better reps with a heavy weight than I thought I would and more than prior WO's. We supersetted these with crunches. Next we did iso shoulder press. these were good. Sarah supersetted with curls. I don't dare try them right now because of my elbow. I haven't curled at all in weeks.  Next we did pulldowns. Again, I was surprised that I got more reps than prior WO's with a "heavy" weight. We supersetted these with lying leg raises.  We finished up the WO with some chest fly's, triceps and rear delt work. Sarah did Seal Rows, which made me jealous. I was going to do a set or two and Sarah talked me out of it, thankfully. Those have been especially hard on my elbows for some reason.

I think what I am finally (hopefully) learning is that when I actually take adequate rest, my body has time to recover, grow, etc. and I can have an awesome WO like I had today. I thought I'd struggle today after only 1 WO this week. In fact, the opposite happened. I hope I can take this lesson to heart and reduce volume from 3/week Upper WO's to 2/week and just keep intensity as high as possible. I get caught in the trap of "more is better", which isn't always the case.  Anyway, great WO today.

Nutrition:

I weighed 178.2 this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment