Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sat 1/11 - Push Day (Paused pressing)

Workout: LA Fitness
(125#OHP)4x5
(95#OHP)10,9

(75#DBInc)8,8,7,6
(65#DBBench)8,7,55x10Paused
(55#DBInc)2x10Paused
(165#DecCGBP)9,8,8
(LegRaise)3x15
(35#IncFly)2x10
(35#Rope)3x12
(10#LatDelt)4x10
(30#FrontDelt)3x8
(10#RearDelt)2x10
(Crunch)12,10,8
(Bicycle)60
97 mins + 12 w/u = 109 mins

Sarah and I went to the gym this morning for a big push WO. Started w/ OHP and only did 4 heavy sets, followed by 2 "lighter" sets. These were tough and not sure I would've gotten 5x5 with 125#'s this morning. I didn't want to kill myself on OHP because I wanted to do 75#'s on incline again and I knew that was going to be tough...and it was. I was hoping for a little closer to 4x8, but worked really hard. Bench felt REALLY heavy so I dropped the weight by 10#'s and did a set of paused reps.

Paused reps are what they sound like. I bring the weight down to chest, pause for 1-2 seconds and then press explosively (if possible). These felt AWESOME! They felt so good, I inclined the bench up a notch and did 2 sets of incline paused presses. These were absolutely great and I felt it in my chest more than I've ever felt incline before. I'm DEFINITELY going to be mixing up heavy reps and paused reps, if not just do all paused reps. To do that I'll have to swallow my ego a bit because much lighter weights have to be used.

Whoa! Chest and tri's were WORKED with the above pressing. Next up was decline close grip bench press and I didn't know if I'd much left for it. I kept the weight normal and didn't lose many reps. Really pleased w/ that. Supersetted with leg raises as usual. For some more chest volume we did 2 sets of incline chest fly's supersetted with rope pushdowns. I was done at this point (if not before). Managed to get through some more accessory work: lateral delts, front delts, rear delts and some more ab work.

Fantastic WO. Love the combo of heavy/"light" OHP and heavy/paused incline and bench. Will continue with this and see what happens.

Nutrition:
I weighed 177.0 this morning. After the WO I got cleaned up and took Gregg and Hayden to Jackson's at Reston Town Center for lunch for Gregg's birthday. Didn't go too crazy, but had some calamari, grilled mahi mahi on risotto/mushroom mix. Probably a bunch of cream in that. Wish it would've just been on wild rice w/ some veggies.  Gregg liked the wallet I gave him for his bday, and what I put inside it :)
Annual winter dinner party in Sarah's court with neighbors tonight. I could be fairly rollie pollie tomorrow.  This progressive dinner party was the first time Sarah and I went on a "date" last year, but at that time it wasn't really a date. I'd just met her 3-4 days earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment