Friday, January 10, 2014

Fri 1/10 - Pull Day

Thursday 1/9 -  Rest day
Rested today because it's time for a rest day, and because Fri/Sat/Sun are all going to be big WO days.  Good nutrition day, cals down a bit because rest day.



Prot Carb Fat Cal
TOTALS: Grams 203 378 37  2,683
  Calories 812 1513 335  2,661
  Percent 31% 57% 13% `

Friday 1/10 - Pull Day
Workout: Golds
(185#BOR)4x8
(135#BOR)4x10

(Pullups)4x8
(CableCrunch)4x12
(80#IsoRow)4x10
(40#IncCurl)8,8,35x8,25x15,12
(RevGripPull)3x8
(10#RDelt)3x10
(CableCurl)4x15
69 mins + 10 w/u = 79 mins

I went to Golds this morning and warmed up. Part of my warmup was to do a few pullups. I haven't done any pullups in a couple of weeks due to my elbow and have been focusing on pulldowns because they seem easier on them. Anyway, normally I fly up to the bar w/ body weight pullups. 2 warmup reps didn't feel real easy. Today might not be fun...

Bent over row is still my focus pulling movement and 185#'s felt real heavy again today. Hasn't felt "easy" since the first time I bumped to this weight. I did 4 sets and was having to use a bit more body english (i.e. cheating) than I'd like, so I dropped to 135 and did 4 very strict sets with pause on the floor. Combined, these were GREAT!(20mins). Next were pullups, and they were actually pretty good after I was warmed up. I did 4 sets of really controlled reps. I didn't do a 5th to spare my elbow, and because I kinda pussed out. Supersetted these w/ cable crunches.(15/35mins).

Next I hit the Iso row machine for 4 sets and supersetted with incline curls. Curls were heavy and I wanted to get higher reps after the 1st couple of sets, so I dropped weight and ended w/ 2 high-rep sets. Bi's were on fire and cramping on last set.(20/55mins). My back must've been spent, because normal weight for reverse grip pulls felt real heavy. Dropped weight on 2nd and again for 3rd set. Supersetted w/ rear delt fly's with 10# plates again. Workout was done, but I've been wanting to try cable curls, but it seems like such a pussy isolation move. The gym was pretty empty so I gave them a shot.  Well, more than a shot. I did 4 sets, but really most of that was because it took a couple sets to get the feel for the movement and weight right. I liked 'em, but not something I'd do often.

Really good WO. One thing I've noticed, is that I feel like my back has progressed much better and faster than my chest. It's frustrating because my upper chest is lagging, IMO, and I've been trying to focus on it for a while now.  And then my back just grows, gets more defined, thicker and stronger. Exactly what I wish my chest were doing.  Then I got to thinking about it.  When I do back/pull/row work, I really hit it with a lot of volume. Normally a couple different vertical pulls (pullups/pulldowns) and couple horitontal pulls (BOR/T-bar/IsoRow/SeatRow) with 3-4 sets each of 8-10 reps. That adds up to quite a bit of volume compared to chest which is normally limited to incline, bench, maybe some fly's. That volume pales in comparison to back. I think it's pretty obvious what I need to do :)

Nutrition:
I weighed 178.0 this morning. Ate a lot and maintained about 3,000 cals again. Fat still a bit low, but I just haven't been willing to sacrifice carbs for fat. And, since I'm at a caloric surplus, I'm trying to keep fat low even though I think I could use more. I think I should really be more in the 50-60gram range, minimum.



Prot Carb Fat Cal
TOTALS: Grams 243 405 34  2,923
  Calories 971 1619 308  2,898
  Percent 34% 56% 11% `

No comments:

Post a Comment