Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wed 9/26 - Back/Shoulders/Bi's & Cardio

Cardio:
  • Walked 47 mins before work.  Legs actually weren't too bad after leg WO yesterday.  I was surprised.  BUT, the 2nd day is always worse, so we'll see.
Workout:
  • (Pullups)13/+3,3,2,2,2 (6) 25
  • (45#Military)12/+3,3,2,3,3 (6) 26
  • (150#CloseGripPull)11/+3,3,3,3,3 (6) 26
  • (15#LateralDelts)15/+5,5,5,5,5 (6) 40
  • (25#HammerCurl)12/+3,3,3,3,3 (6) 27
  • (70#RearDelt)16/+4,4,4,4,4 (6) 36
  • (45#BentOverRow)12/+4,4,4,4,4 (6) 32
  • (30#Crunch)15/+6,6,6,6,6 (6) 45
  • (LyingLegRaise)15/+5,5,5,5,5 (6) 40
  • (20#Curl)20/+4,4,4,4 (5) 36
  • (50#Shrugs)15/+5,5,5,5 (5) 35
51 mins
Back: 18 (83)
Shoulders: 23 (137)
Bi's: 11 (63)
Abs: 12 (85)
Total: 52 (activation + mini-sets) (283 reps) (Not including abs)

I hadn't done pullups in a while, and figured I'd better do them.  I've been doing reverse grip pulldowns (pussy pulldowns) instead.  I've been going heavy on those, but it's still not the same as pullups. I was very pleased I got 13 on the activation set, but I immediately knew I shouldn't have done that many.  I wanted to make sure I got at least 10 and kept going to see where I stood after not doing them for a while.  Mini sets got very hard very quickly.  The last 2 sets of 2 were a struggle.  Last rep only getting 3/4 of the way up.  Still very good work and very happy I could do 13 after not doing them for a while.

Similar to pullups, I wanted to see where I stood on military.  I'll have to look, but think I was using 50's before, probably 6-8 reps.  I started with 45#s.  Activation set was great (12 reps).  Then I went 3,3,2 and had to drop to 40#s.  This was good shoulder work, but heavy dumbbells just aren't conducive to myo-reps.  It's too awkward and takes too much effort to get heavy dumbbells up and down with such short rests. 

Close grip pulldowns were really good again today.  Pullups take a lot out of the back, but these were good, really tried to control the weight and could really feel it in my lats/mid-back.  Pleased.

Lateral delts were great.  Today I did less on the activation set, but did 5's on mini sets.  Really good.

Hammer curls were good.  Nothing special stood out.  I was going to do heavy straight bar, but that hurts my left elbow, and back day puts a lot of strain on it as is, so did curls.

Rear delts were good.  Nothing stood out.

I would normally do seated rows here, but that's hard on my elbow, and I wasn't thrilled with wide grip seated rows last WO, so I did bent over rows.  These were really good, though I wish I had a barbell to do them with.  These take a ton of energy, but good.  I could really feel the tightness in my legs during these today.

For abs I did crunches reversed on the back extension contraption.  I should call these back snaps instead of crunches.  Gotta figure out a good way to do weighted crunches.  Been doing them for a couple weeks and still haven't figured it out.  Then I did lying leg raises.  These were good, and real hard.  I must have been working *something* well on the crunches.  During the last 2 mini sets, I had to really work to get the last reps up.  Very pleased with this combo, if I could get the crunches working better.

The workout was done as written here, but I was psyched about how the WO went and had been wondering from last WO if I needed more bi work.  So, I set out to do 1-2 sets of curls.  That turned into a full Myo-rep set.  Then I thought, "hey, lets just do a set of shrugs".  That also turned into a full Myo-rep set.

When am I going to learn to just call it a day and know I've done enough work?

Overall a great WO, but I probably should have stuck to WO as written.  Too many exercises and went too long.  Very happy with pullups.  Military really worked shoulders, even though dumbbells aren't conducive to Myo-reps.  Lateral delts and bent rows were also high points.  I want to figure something better with bi's, though what I'm doing is probably fine.  Gotta figure out weighted crunches, or abandon them for a while before I hurt myself.

Nutrition:
I weighed 171.8 this morning.  Pretty good nutrition day.  I haven't really restricted carbs this week.  Three big WO's in a row had to be fueled and cutting carbs too low would have been detrimental, I think.  No WO tomorrow, so carbs will probably be a little lower, but I'm not doing many days below 50grams right now.  That's just too few for me to sustain long term.



Prot Carb Fat Cal
TOTALS: Grams 186 166 19       1,539
  Calories 744 665 167       1,576
  Percent 47% 42% 11% 100%

No comments:

Post a Comment