Friday, September 28, 2012

Fri 9/28 - Chest/Tri's, Body Fat% & New Gym

I went to the new gym, Fitness First, this morning and met with the trainer.  He ran me through the normal BS one gets subjected to when joining a new gym.  He measured my BF with calipers and it was 11.5%.  My body composition was:
Body Weight: 174.7 lbs
Body Fat %: 11.5%
Lean Body Mass: 154.6 lbs
Fat Mass: 20.1 lbs

Last time I had it checked several months ago I was at 13.7%, so I'm moving in the right direction!

The trainer had me do a bunch of exercises to test flexibility, general strength, core strength, etc.  Did sand bag lifts with box squats, body weight squats.  My legs are still really sore from doing legs the other day so I wasn't thrilled with all this nonsense.  Ken (trainer) was good though and knew what he was doing.

I was pressed for time, but decided since I was there I'd try to get my Chest/Tri WO in.

Workout:
  • Dumbbell Bench 60X12, 70X6, 70X5, 65X5, 65X4 (4) 20
  • (45#DumbbellIncline)8,6,6,5,4 (5) 29
  • (Dips)10/+3,3,3,3,2 (6) 24
  • (115#CloseGripBench)12/+6,4,3,3,3,3 (7)  34
  • (25#RollingDBTri's)12,10,8,8,7 (5) 45
  • (30#Crunch)12/+5,5,4,3,3 (6) 32
  • (LyingLegRaise)15/+5,5,5,5,5 (6) 40
40 mins
Chest:  15 (73) - not counting 60# bench - that was warmup
Tri's: 12 (79)
Abs: 12 (72)
Total: 27 sets, 152 reps (not counting abs)

Bench was good, but 60's were more than a warmup set, but not really a good working set either.  Other sets were good.  Felt good using 70# dumbbells.  That's the heaviest I've gone with DB's so far.  Good sign.

I felt incline was on the light side, but ended up being a good weight based on number of reps.  Heavier bench might have had something to do with that.

Dips were good, but didn't get as many reps as I would have liked.  Due to heavy bench?

I did close grip bench on the smith machine.  This was good, but should start doing it with barbell or EZ-curl bar w/o smith machine.

Tried rolling DB tri extensions for the first time.  A bit weird at first, but really like them.  I thought 25#s would be too light and I'd just warm up with them and get a feel for the movement, but this weight was good.  Will definitely do these again!

Core was pretty good, but weighted crunches are still puzzling.  Core was already worked a little bit from trainer exercises in the beginning and lying leg raises were really tough.  Good work here.

Overall a pretty darn good WO.  Bench left a little bit to be desired.  I think I'm just not used to doing so few reps.  But, the heavier dumbbells felt good and I know worked chest well.  If it wasn't for the core work, this WO would have been about 32 mins.  Short and sweet, and intense.  Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment