Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday 6/1 - Chest/Tri's/Core & Cardio

Cardio:
  • 55 min walk in the morning.  Feeling tired and a bit sluggish.  Need to find a way to start sleeping better.  Easy solution - start getting to bed earlier.  I say that as I sit to start writing this at 11PM.  Schedule lately has been to get to be around 12:15-12:30 and get up by 6AM.  I always fall to sleep right away, but then get up to pee at 2AM, 4AM and then at 6AM and am up for good.  Not a good sleep pattern.  I'll write more on this and recent nutrition habits that need some changing in another blog after in the morning.
Workout:
Really trying to psych myself up for a decent workout after not having it on Wednesday.  Not a great sign. Was even considering taking the day off and starting back on Monday with chest/tri's but that would mean only 2 back WO's in two weeks (this week and next).  Anyway, here's the particulars:
  • (Bench w/u 165#, 195#X5), Reps were 5,5,5,5,4.  A version of 5X5 here.  Good.
  • (50/45#Incline/25#InclineCrunch/CaptChair)4, 2 sets @50#, 2@45#
  • (Dips/110#Flys)4, Dips (10,8,8,7)
  • (50#TriExt6/CableCross4/core2), Last 2 drop sets to 25
  • (110#TriPushDown)6, 4 straight bar (110/100), 2 rope drop sets (70/40)
  • (10#TriKickBacks)3
  • (90#BenchToFailure)1 
70 mins
Chest: 19
Tri's: 19
Core: 10
Total: 48 sets

Comments:
After going heavier on bench this past Monday and liking how it felt afterward, I thought I might just do a couple (2-3) "heavy" stimulation sets on the flat bench machine (no heavy free weights at this gym).  Started with 165# warmup set and then did first working set @195, 5 reps.  Felt OK.  Did another set.  Felt better.  OK, I'll do one more and move on to incline.  It felt good too and could really feel it in my chest, so basically did 5X5, a "heavy protocol" (google it and/or check out this link).  Not that I'm following that program, just stole a set.  Anyway, it felt really good and put me in a better frame of mind for the rest of my workout.  I didn't superset bench with anything as I normally do because I thought it was going to be a quick workout.  So, I stole an ab routine from the Hodge Twins and supersetted 2 ab exercises with incline.  This combo felt good, and much better than just doing them separately with a lot of rest between like normal.  Will do this again.  Good dips with BW again.  Good overhead tri extensions, drop setting the last 2 sets.  I'm convinced these have been the biggest factor in my tri development.  Threw in 2 more core exercises (bicycles and reverse crunch), but abs were already worked from above and workout was getting long so didn't do any more.  Tri pushdowns were also good, as were the tri kickbacks.  Tri's really burning by last sets of pushdowns and kickbacks.  One last set of bench to finish off the chest.   Probably unnecessary, and possibly pointless if not detrimental, but whatever.  Felt good to get one last chest pump.

Overall a really good workout and was very happy with the effort...especially after Wednesday's WO and how I felt going into this one.  Still need to really look over my log and determine if next week needs to be a purposeful deloading week.  After this weekend with the kids, and diet I'm not sure as clean as normal, it might be a good time for a down week to recuperate, focus on diet and cardio before race next weekend.

Protein:
6:30AM Whey shake & creatine 30g
7AM 55 min walk
9:14 4oz chicken & brussel sprouts 30g
11:15 Whey50/casein50 30g
12:45 WO - Chest/Tri's
2:15PM 1/2 cup brown rice, can tuna, 2.5 egg whites & creatine 40g
5:15 Chicken & salad 30g
6:45 Chicken kabob, spinach, naan 30g
9:15 Pinkberry
10:30 Casein shake 30g

Total: 220g

No comments:

Post a Comment